Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Whippet: a variation on the basic greyhound


A Greyhound is a classic cocktail of grapefruit juice and vodka over ice. It is incredibly refreshing and perfect for a hot day. However, I am not really a vodka fan. I tend only use it when I am trying a new flavor combination and want an alcohol that will act as a neutral base.

Interestingly enough, most of the vodka based classic cocktails didn't actually have vodka in them until after the Second World War, before that they would typically have been made with Gin. The greyhound is no exception therefore I like to consider this a throwback to the original greyhounds.

I have included mint in this receipe mostly because my mint plant is growing splendidly and needed to be pruned back a bit. Finally I chose to serve it up instead of on the rocks merely because I that is how I prefer my cocktails. No ice=no watered down drink. And... I just bought these adorable martini glasses.Obviously they needed to be used!

In on honor of the original I thought it needed a doggy name so it is a Whippet. Sweet and skinny just like these adorable pups.




Ingredients:
2 oz gin (I used Tanqueray but use whatever you like)
2.5 oz freshly squeezed grapefruit juice (about 1/2 decent sized grapefruit)
Splash of simple syrup (my grapefruit was pretty tart so it needed it but not necessary)
6 mint leaves
Splash of soda water

How To:
Muddle mint and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker
Add gin and grapefruit juice to shaker with ice. Shake well.
Strain into chilled cocktail glass and top with soda water.


No comments:

Post a Comment