Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Guacamole Pico de Gallo and Homemade Chips


Avocados. Are they a fruit or a vegetable? I tend to eat them with other vegetables (salads, sandwiches etc) and therefore usually  just think of them as a vegetable. However, they are a fruit.  They grow on trees and have the seed (the pit) inside.  Either way, I LOVE avocados. Nothing is better to me than homemade guacamole and warm tortilla chips. On Sunday night I made my favorite style which is a combination of pico de gallo and guacamole. Instead of a creaming the avocado, I dice it.




Guacamole Pico de Gallo

Ingredients
4 Avocado
3 Tomatos
1 Small yellow onion
1 Jalapeno
Cilantro 
Garlic Powder
Salt
Pepper
Lime juice






Instructions:

1. Dice onions, jalapenos, tomatos and avocados (I do it in that order because I prefer to cut the messy ingredients last). Combine all ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a large spoon.

2. Mince the cilantro. How much you use depends on personal taste. I like a very strong flavor so I use a bunch. Add to other ingredients.

3. Add Garlic Powder, Salt and Pepper to taste.

4. Use a small amount of Lime Juice to mixture. This will help keep the avocados from turning brown.


Homemade Tortilla Chips


Ingredients:
Corn Tortillas 
Spray Cooking Oil
Salt

Instructions:

1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Spray cooking oil on both sides of tortillas.

3. Stack 6 tortillas and cut into quarters.

4. Place tortillas quarters onto a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.

5. Bake until golden brown and edges start to turn up (about 7 minutes).






No comments:

Post a Comment