Monday, March 19, 2012

I Have Always Depended on the Kindness of Strangers

Blanch DuBois famously said in A Streetcar Named Desire: "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers", well today it was my turn to depend on the kindness of strangers. As I was driving home from my internship my car ran out of gas. I was stopped in the middle of a fairly busy street with out anyway to move my car. As I frantically called my Dad to ask him what I should, two men who were working on construction came over and helped me push the car into a near by parking lot. I offered to buy them lunch for their help but they just smiled and said it was not a problem, just do something kind for someone else. Sometimes it is hard to believe in this world that people are willing to take time from their busy day to help out a complete stranger. It restores my belief in the goodness of people.



Now for something a little more fun. Irish Car Bomb Cupcakes!







The original recipe comes from The Mess Pot but I made a few changes. 








 I used 2 bottles of Guinness and reduced it down to the one cup required for the recipe. This gave the cupcakes a little stronger taste. To do this just boil the beer on medium heat until you have the required amount needed. It took about  20 minutes or so to do this.



The Guinness Boiling



 I used half the amount of white sugar and the other half with light brown sugar. I did this because I ran out of sugar but it also helped to increase the moistness of the cupcakes as well.





Cupcake liners filled 3/4 of the way



The center cut out of the cupcake to fill with chocolate.


I used more Jameson and Bailey's then the recipe called for. I really wanted the cupcake to taste like a food version of the drink. And I think it did.








This was my first time decorating with cake decorating tips/bags. It was surprisingly easy and I think they turned out well. Wilton.com has some great tutorials on cake decorating. I used this one for 1M Swirl.


My Mess After Baking :)




No comments:

Post a Comment