Sunday, November 11, 2012

Ten Tips for Gorgeous Winter Skin

After a beautiful indian summer, it is finally starting to cool down in Colorado. This means I now get to enjoy many of my favorite things: hot coco, fires, snowball fight, wrapping up in an afghan and reading Harry Potter, and snowboarding. The one downside to the cold weather is my skin dries out like crazy. Growing up in Colorado I have learned a few ways to help keep your skin looking great.


  1. Stay Hydrated: I know everyone always harps on about drinking water but seriously just do it. Your skin cannot look great if you don't have enough water in your system. In the winter you might not think you need to drink as much water because you aren't sweating. Well you do. A
  2. Use a Humidifier: If you live in a really dry climate like Colorado, using a humidifyer is one of the easiest things you can do to keep your skin looking great. When you turn on the heat in your house the humidity automatically drops. A humidifer will increase the moisture in the air which can then be absorbed by your skin.
  3. Exfoliate: About once a week I use Shavano's La Plata body sugar scrub to get all the dead skin cells off. For everyday showering I use Sunlight Tea Tree and Lavender soap. There are lavender seeds in the bar so it gently exfoliates while still smelling and feeling amazing. 
  4. Temperate Water: While in the shower/bath don't use really hot water. This dries out your skin even more. 
  5. Switch to a Body Oil: In the summer I find an oil is a little to heavy for my skin unless I am just getting back from the pool but in the winter I love it! When I get out of the shower I typically slather on Shavano Antero Body Oil. I love that it quickly absorbs into the skin so I don't have to worry about it getting on my clothing. At night I generously apply it to my feet and then put on some of those aloe socks (although I typically end up kicking the socks off at night. Hehe)
  6. Wear Sunscreen: Some of the worst sunburns I have ever had have been during the winter after a day of snowboarding. Just because it is overcast doesn't mean you can't get burned. Snow can refelect the sunlight back at you causing a more severe sunburn. Couple that with wind burn can make for a very painful couple of days. Therefore, make sure you use sunscreen and are covered up.
  7. Stay Away from Tanning Beds: I know it can be very tempting to go to the tanning salon in order to maintain your gorgeous summer glow. Please don't. Not only are you increasing your chances of skin cancer but you are also prematurely aging yourself. Trust me ten years down the road you will thank me for this. If you must have a tan look into spray tans. I love getting a really good airbrushed tan. These are customizable so you don't end up looking like you just stepped out of The Jersey Shore. For short term gratification use a bronzer. 
  8. Don't Forget Your Scalp: My scalp gets really dry in the winter. I typically do a deep conditioning on my hair once a month but will sometime do it more frequently if my hair and scalp seem to be particularly dry. I know its a little old school but I swear by hair Cholesterol. You can pick up a tub of it from Sally Beauty for around $5.00!! I also try not to blowdry my hair as often because that will also dryout the scalp. 
  9. Fish Oil: Not only will this help with your hair and nails but you skin will also glow from taking this. 
  10. Moisturize More: A couple a weeks ago I posted about my skin care routine to deal with hormonal acne. In it I only used my Snowmass Facial Lotion in the morning. Well when it starts to cool down I also mosturize at night before bed. I also apply hand lotion much more often during the winter. I usually keep some by my bed and put it on before I go to sleep. I also keep it in the kitchen next to the sink. Someone please remind me to bring some into Beau Jo's as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment