Monday, January 30, 2012

DIY Coasters



My apartment is a hockey apartment. If we watch a sport it is generally hockey (with the exception of OU football for me and the Broncos for Kelly). With the All Star break over and the second half of the season starting we needed some hockey gear to gear to get us excited. I have been wanting to make some coasters from tile for a while and decided this would be a perfect project to show support for our teams.


Supplies:
4X4 Tiles from Home Depot
Mod Podge
Folk Art Clear Cote Extra Thick Glaze #786 from Michaels
Felt (I chose black with glitter to add a girly touch!)
Glue Gun
Picture or design of your choice that fits on the tile (I printed off the logo's for the San Jose Sharks and the Colorado Avalanche but you could do this with almost anything, we were thinking scrapbook paper or beer labels would be fun).


1. Fit the pictures to the tile.

2. Apply a layer of Mod Podge to the tile and place the paper on the tile. My paper was slightly larger than the tile so I took a razor blade and trimmed the edges to fit the tile perfectly.

3. After letting the glue dry spray with a layer of the clear spray. This is to keep the ink from bleeding during the next step.

4. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the paper. Make sure you also apply it to the side of the tiles. This will help ensure the edges of the paper don't peel up.
Don't worry the glue dries clear.
5. Let this dry and apply one more coat of Mod Podge and let dry for several hours to let set.

6. Apply the clear spray all over the coasters with emphasis on the side the top and the sides. Let dry.

7. Cut felt to attach to bottom of the coaster. You can do four inch squares or circles. I chose circles that way I could get more use out of the felt.

8. Attach the felt to the back of the coaster with glue gun.




Voila! You have your own customized coasters.






These were super easy and fun to make. I love that you can pretty much do any design on them. I want to make them for a friend's birthday but with slight motification. Cut out the shape of the logo and then glue it onto black tiles. I'll let you know how it turns out when I try it.







Disclaimer: I don't own the Colorado Avalanche or the San Jose Sharks logos.

No comments:

Post a Comment