Monday, February 20, 2012

Home Sweet Home




I don't often travel to my parents house in Montrose, CO but when I do I try and make it as relaxing of a trip as possible. This weekend has turned out to be just that.  Montrose is a small town nestled in the Western Slope. I tend to have a love hate relationship with the town. Coming home I am always flooded with memories and the feeling of returning to something comfortable and old. It is a beautiful place and I am glad that I grew up here but I won't deny the fact I was very glad to leave after high school.
Taken in the spring near my parents home

One thing that I do love about Montrose is how convient it is to head to the mountains and go skiing/snowboarding. Crested Butte, Powderhorn and Telluride are all less than an hour and half away. In high school I spent countless weekends up in Telluride and it is still my favorite mountain but it is also one of the more expensive places. Instead of spending $110 on a lift ticket at Telluride, my dad and I headed north to Powderhorn which is half the price. It is fun little mountain with only a few lifts and small crowds (I think we waited two minutes tops to get on the lifts). This was the first day I have been out this year and it was perfect: good snow, no crowds and sunny!
My Daddy and I  taking a break at Powederhorn
View of the the Grand Mesa from one of the trails


Overall, it was a good break from the Boulder bubble. Between sushi, snowboarding, a Harry Potter weekend and Sharks hockey it can't get much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment