Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Crocheted Grocery Bag Dispenser


If your house is anything like mine, you probably have tons of plastic bags sitting around. As much as I try to use reusable market bags, I don't always remember to bring them to the store or end up buying more than fits into the bag. With my two furry babies these plastic bags do get used, either to line Rowena's Littermaid or as poop bags for Kingston. Before, I had the animals we would take the extra bags back to the store to be recycled but now I have to start storing them. The bags have been slightly taking over the top of my fridge so I decided to crochet a holder for them. The original idea came from The Crochet Dude but I made my own pattern. This is untested so if you do see any problems please let me know.

Materials
Chunky/Rug Weight Yarn (I used some yarn that I stole from my Mom's stash. Not sure what brand it is).
K Hook
2 Elastic Hair Bands

Stitches used:

Single Crochet: sc
Double Crochet: dc
V Stitch: double crochet, chain , double crochet (dc, ch 1, dc)
Treble Crochet V Stitch: treble, chain 1, treble (tr, ch 1, tr)

Row 1: Join yarn to elastic hair band. Ch 3, dc 19 times around, join with slip stitch to ch 3.
Row 2-3: Ch 3, dc in back loop 19 times, join with slip stitch to ch 3
Row 4: Ch 4, dc in same space. *Skip next stitch (dc, ch 1, dc) repeat from * times. Join with slip stitch in ch 3.
Row 5-14: Ch 5, treble in same space, *(tr, ch 1, tr) in ch1 space. Repeat from* around Join with slip stitch in ch 4.
Row 15: Ch 4, dc in same space. *Skip next stitch (dc, ch 1, dc) repeat from * times. Join with slip stitch in ch 3.
Row 16: Ch 3, dc in each stitch around, join with slip stitch to ch 3. (20 dc).
Row 17: Ch 3, dc in back loop 19 times, join with slip stitch to ch 3.
Ring for Hanging. Work 34 sc around the elastic band. Slip st to next st on Row 29. Fasten off.



Crocheted around elastic hair band





Bottom of the holder
Ring to hang


I think I want to make another version using worsted weight yarn that is slightly smaller to hang in the car. If I do end up making it I will post the changes needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment